Thursday, January 3, 2013

Petite and Delicate

If it was 100 years ago, I probably would be a super proud momma if someone described my daughter as "petite and delicate."  Today, not so much. 

I took CutiePie and BigBrother to a popular indoor play area this afternoon.  CutiePie is in heaven whenever we go.  They have everything a girl could ever want to play with - like balls, choo-choos, toy shopping carts to run into things, dinosaurs, and a water table.  (She's not so much a fan of the baby dolls and art center)  What can I say?  She's one tough cookie and BigBrother is her absolute role model.   Well while the kids were racing their "choo-choos" around the train table a random lady came up to me and commented that she was "Just like a doll - so petite and delicate."  Um, excuse me?  Sometimes I just get so tired of the comments other people make about her.  I know they are just making small talk and don't mean anything by it.  But a year ago, no one would have ever described her as petite OR delicate.  It would be like me walking up to you and saying "Oh, that huge nose of yours just does such a great job of holding up those pretty glasses."  It's like a compliment and a put-down all at the same time, or at least that's how it feels to me. A year ago no one would describe her as petite.  In fact, a lady once told me when she was little that I was going to have to start just telling her that she was smart because she was too chunky to be told she is pretty.   ::sigh:: 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment