Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dang you Food Labels!!

Today I went to the grocery store.  It *used* to be my favorite day of the week.  I would wander the aisles selecting delicious foods to prepare for my family.  I brought my coupon binder and saved TONS of money and all was great in the world. 

Now it is a lesson in self-control.  I walk the aisles and think "Nope.  Nope.  No.  Nada.  Nyet.  Non.  Maybe?"  It's the maybes that kill me.  I get so excited and flip over the box and start to read.  Nine times out of ten it is a no.  And then once in a while I find something yummy that seems to be okay.  And I get excited.  Then I keep reading and find words like "Modified Food Starch."  WTF?  What in the world is modified food starch and how am I supposed to know if it is safe?   After doing some research tonight, it looks like it could be based out of rice, corn, wheat, pretty much any type of starch.  I know, that answered NOTHING. 

After coming to the conclusion that modified food starch might, in fact, be a bad thing for us.  I looked back at more labels in my fridge and our food journal.  Lo and behold - my favorite salad dressing has it listed as an ingredient AND after studying my food journal it looks like around the same time I thought Cutie Pie was reacting to corn I was also eating a lot of salad.  Now I'm wondering if maybe in fact she was reacting to the salad dressing instead.  I'm half excited, half bummed about it.  On one hand, it might mean I can retrial corn in my diet and I could eat grilled corn on the cob and tortilla chips again.  On the other hand it means my favorite salad dressing goes on the failed list.  I eat a lot of salad.  That would be sad.  I tried to call the 1-800 number on the back of the bottle,  but got no answer.  I guess they don't answer phones on a Sunday night, but you know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning! 

In other news, I'm back on neutral ground for zucchini.  We've been taking a break for the last three days and tomorrow I will reintroduce it to her and see what happens.  She did have a normal poopy diaper on Friday - no mucus, not hard, perfectly normal.  (Never ever ever did I think I'd ever be blogging about my kid's poop....)  I am hopeful tomorrow will go well.  Nervous, but hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment