Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I love banana bread.  When I buy a bunch of bananas I secretly hope that no one in the house will finish them off so I can let them ripen and turn them into bread.  It doesn't happen very often, but last night I realized there were two lonely bananas leftover and they had those tell-tale brown spots.  I woke up this morning already smelling the goodness.  Then I realized I couldn't have dairy.  No butter, no milk.  So I pulled up my favorite recipe, tweaked it a bit, and YUMMMMMMM.  It turned out amazing!   I topped it with this new coconut spread stuff I found at the store (margarine made from coconut oil pretty much I guess) and it may just may be better than the original.  Just in case you were wondering, here is the recipe:

1/2 c canola oil
1/2 c maple syrup
1 egg
2 ripe bananas
3 T almond milk
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (i know this has corn starch, but I was willing to risk it....)
1 teaspoon baking soda


1.  Whisk oil, syrup, egg, banana, and milk together.
2.  Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add slowly to banana mixture. 
3.  Pour into loaf pan (I use silicone bake ware to avoid needing cooking spray), and bake for 45-50min at 350 until done.

It was delicious.  I seriously ate almost half the loaf this morning.  I think next time I'dd add some chopped walnuts and maybe a 1/2 teaspoon or so of vanilla extract or maybe even a pinch of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment